The Permanent Account Number (PAN) is an unique 10-digit identification number that is used to identify taxpayers in India. From opening a bank account to filing tax returns, a PAN card is used for almost all the important financial transactions in the country. You can apply for a PAN card online as well offline.
Important things you need to know before applying for a PAN card online.
- Submission of Form 49A: You can apply for a PAN card online by visiting the National Securities Depository Ltd.(NSDL) website or the UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited (UTIITSL) website. Both these websites are service providers for PAN card applications and are authorised by the Income Tax Department. It is compulsory for resident Indians to fill Form 49A, which is an application form required to get a PAN card. Non-Resident Individuals (NRI) and foreign nationals will have to fill the Form 49AA.
- Order of your name and surname: At the time of filling the Form 49A, make sure you fill your surname first followed by your first name. This is a common mistake that most people tend to make while filling the form. Although you fill your surname first, it must be noted that the PAN card will showcase your first name and surname.
- Avoid using abbreviations: Make sure to fill the name and surname field in the form without adding abbreviations or initials. Fill only your surname and name in the required field.
- Various Payment Methods: After you fill all the information in the form and upload the necessary documents, you will have to make the payment. The payment can be made via debit/credit card, net banking, and demand draft. You will receive an pan acknowledgement receipt once the payment is made successfully.
- Aadhaar Authentication Process: Once you have made the payment, the next step is to go through the Aadhaar Authentication Process. For this, you will be sent an One Time Password (OTP) via mobile/email that is linked to your Aadhaar.
- Sending Acknowledgement Receipt to NSDL/UTIITSL: Once you have made the payment and completed the Aadhaar Authentication Process, you will have to print the 15-digit acknowledgement receipt and send it to NSDL or UTITSL office via post/courier. It must be noted that the envelope that is sent must be labelled as ‘Application For PAN’.
- In case of failed Aadhaar Authentication Process: If your mobile number is not linked to your Aadhaar or you are not able to complete the Aadhaar Authentication Process, you will need to send an address proof, identification proof, and the acknowledgement receipt via post/courier to NSDL or UTITSL office. Moreover, two passport size photographs and your signature should be attached to the acknowledgement receipt.
Make sure the courier reaches NSDL or UTITSL office within 15-20 days from the date of application. You can track your PAN application using the acknowledgement receipt number by visiting the TIN-NSDL website.