Whenever one searches online for best places to visit in Goa, there’s rarely any list or itinerary which doesn’t mention Dudh Sagar Waterfalls. However most of them just talk about how beautiful the waterfall is. While the waterfall in itself is indeed wonderful primarily owing to the mesmerizing views & abundance of nature around, but then not everything is hunky dory here, especially for people travelling with kids & aged parents. More about it later but for now, let’s know Dudhsagar Waterfalls a little better.
Know – How
Dudh Sagar waterfall is one of the tallest waterfalls of India, boasting a clear fall height of around 1017 ft. It is located inside Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary (covered under Western Ghats) and is a grace over of River Mandovi in Goa.
What’s in the name?
The term DudhSagar in literal terms means the Sea of Milk and the waterfall owes its name to the famous legend according to which , a Princess used to take bath in a lake besides river Mandovi everyday .One day , a passer-by ( some guides swear that he was a Prince too) stopped near the lake and he gazed towards Princess. At that moment, by the time maid brought her clothes, the Princess upturned a jug of milk lying in front of her so as to create a virtual curtain between herself & the passer-by’s sight , thus saving her dignity . And since then, as the locals say, this waterfall is there, continuously creating a milk curtain (only God knows for whom).
Distance from Major Milestones (approx.)
- 60-65 km from Panjim
- 45 km from Mudgaon
How to reach ?
- By Road:Private Taxis will drop you near the entrance of Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary which lies within the boundary of a village called Mollem on Goa- Karnataka Border.To save some bucks, you can explore Group Tour options as well.
From Mollem, Official Management’s Jeeps take you to the fall on chargeable basis with expenses as under :
Approx. Per Person Charges : Rs. 500 for Jeep Ticket + Rs. 80-100 Miscellaneous charges (for mandatory life jacket, Forest Entry, camera etc.) = Rs. 580-600 per person .
- By Train: Strictly Recommended for Trekking enthusiasts only. There is no direct train for Waterfalls but nearest railways stations are Kulem& Castle Rock station from where one can trek to falls. People accompanied with families/aged persons may refrain from using this option.
Best time to Visit:
Anytime other than monsoons however period between October to Marchis bestto visit Dudhsagar Waterfalls , considering the climate.
Catch the Waterfalls in Action :
Coming to the Point :
It’s time to cover what this particular article has been actually written for.
Here are the 7 things that you must know before you plan to visit Dudhsagar Waterfalls while in Goa:
- The Jeep Charges per person from Mollem to Falls (Rs. 500) are for a Shared ride in a 7 seater Bolero jeep, unless of course you are 7 people in a group or you are willing to shell out Rs.3500 for entire jeep.
- If you plan to visit Dudhsagar Falls , be aware that at least ¾ th you day will be invested there , for it will take a total of at least 5 hours to cover the Falls.It approx. takes 65-70 minutes for Jeep to reach Falls (one side) from Mollem however at times, waiting time near the forest entrance itself spans over 20-25 minutes, owing to congestion which is over the ride time mentioned earlier. Then once you reach the destination, you are given 1.5 hours to enjoy at the waterfall before heading back to Mollem.
- Online Booking of Tickets for Dudhsagar Falls is now available. Checkout Goa Tourism website for details & avoid long queues during peak season.
- Do carry your swimsuits with you so as to enjoy the waterfall to the fullest while the Indian Railways whistles & crosses over the bridge right above your torso.
- Though food & water are very much available near the Jeep ticket counter however no such facility is available after that. So, make sure you don’t board the jeep with empty tummy. As for Toilets, yes, the portable types are there at one location after you reach the Falls but still, they are good for Nature’s short call only and hence tourists are advised to use washrooms near jeep ticket counters at Mollem.
- The ride is obviously somewhat bumpy, so people with back aches & those with infants need to be little careful.
- Beware of the monkeys at the entrance of falls (where the jeep will drop you). While they don’t seem to harm anyone but still as a precaution, take good care of your belongings especially food & spectacles.
I hope you found the write up useful. Would love to hear your feedback at email@example.com.
Namaste & Take Care !!